MESSAGE COMMUNITY COUNCIL HISTORY PROJECTS CHURCH / CHAPELS CULTURE / SPORTS CONTACT US
 

HOME
AGRICULTURE / FARMING
DEVELOPMENT
ANNOUNCEMENTS
ENTERPRISES
HUNTER'S CLUB
     
  HISTORY  
 

.. Acheleia is a village of the province of Paphos and it is found in the geographic region of the coastal plain of Paphos, roughly 7 kilometers southeast of the city of Paphos. The village is built at an altitude of 35 meters above sea level. It is found very close to the east side of the watercourse of the river "Ezousas", that is most commonly known as the river of Acheleia.

Acheleia is found between the villages that have been benefited from the irrigatory project of Paphos, particularly from the dam of "Asprokremmos" and the drillings made over the length of the rivers found in the region.

In 1979, a reforestation plan was supplemented in a small extent of 105,686.2 square meters or 79 "skales" (1 "skala"= 1337.8 square meters) of fertile ground, from which the bigger part was initially property of the monastery of Agios Neophytos.

In the village of Acheleia they are cultivated vegetables, vines, citrus fruits, cereals, peanuts, animal plants, potatoes, olives, deciduous etc.

Citrus fruit cultivations

In 1979, 769 sheeps and 378 goats were raised in the village. The basic industrial activity in the village of Acheleia, is the production of concrete over the length of the watercourse of Ezousas' river.

The population of Acheleia had some fluctuations between 1881 and 1982. Its 56 residents in 1881 increased to 63 in 1901, decreased to 52 in 1946 and increased again to 91 in 1982. The houses of the settlement are found over the length of the main street, as well over the length of some other narrow streets that are vertical to the street of Paphos-Limassol. Over the length of the main street of Paphos-Limassol, they are found also the main installations of the governmental building of Acheleia.

The village that is covered with urban areas, it is found in the main street of Paphos-Limassol while in the its northeastern side is connected with Agia Varvara.

Near the central street of Acheleia it is found the church of Agios Georgios built in the 16th century and reconditioned in the 18th century. Another church that is maintained is that of Agios Theodosios in which some murals are found. Near the sea there is a devastated church of Agios Leontios. It appears that a small city existed in the region during the Roman years. At the small port of Acheleia, known as Moulia, it was found the picture of Virgin Mary of Chrysorrogiatissa, which according to the tradition, it was brought there by the sea waves.

The name of the village resulted from the French word L'Eschelle (Asse'eleia) that means harbor, dock or more generally a place to tie up boats. The name of the region was famous from the season of the Franks and according to G. Karouzis, it existed there a small anchorage.

During the British colonial government, the village of Acheleia was a privilege. A big extent of 5,191 "skales" of agricultural ground, easterly of the Ezousas' river. There are no evidences for the privilege ground during the Byzantine period. After the conquest of Cyprus from the Turks in 1570/1, the village of Acheleia with three other privileges (Kouklia, Mamonia, and Potima) were devolved to the possession of "Valide Sultana".

The householders of the privilege of Acheleia never cultivated the ground of the village and they were renting the agricultural extent and the water of the river of Ezousas. The tenants were cultivating part of the ground, while they were renting the rest to other persons. Sometimes the fertile ground of Acheleia was rented as pastureland, while the water of Ezousas' river was rented and transported to other villages over long distances. Under such conditions the privilege was disregarded and its few buildings were depopulated.

The remaining extent of the privilege was rented to poor persons of Acheleia and the neighboring villages. The extent was divided into three departments, one in each department. Renting had 10 years duration. The ground actually was rented to the cooperative "villa" of Acheleia that included the villages of Geroskipou, Acheleia, Timi, Agia Varvara, Agia Marinouda, Koloni and Anarita, from which the members were emanated. Initial members of the company were 112 Greekcypriots and 38 Turkishcypriots.

In 1956 the cooperative villa of Acheleia had 153 members. Each member had in its disposal 18-20 "skales" of ground in three different departments, with an average extent of item being 6 "skales". The total extent that was rented in the villa was 2.922 "skales".

Today, after the government kept 1,683 "skales" of ground for the needs of Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources and the extent that was occupied by the airport of Paphos plus 642 "skales" for streets, buildings, barren ground, the remaining extent was distributed to 139 persons that can be increased to141.

Offices of the Ministry of Agriculture

The extent that was kept by the government for the needs of Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources includes the following: nurseries, experimental station of the Institute of Agricultural Researches, vegetable units, almond units, citrus fruits, vines of wine and table varieties, walnut trees, olives, clover, deciduous trees, "mespilies" and an empty extent for future needs. Also an extent of 250 "skales" is used by the Department of Agriculture and the Institute of Agricultural Researches for the production of basic seeds of veterinary plants, test culture of new types and varieties of plants of big culture, as well as new varieties of veterinary plants together with experiments from the Institute of Agricultural Researches for subjects that concern the plants of big culture.

Premises of the Agricultural Research
Institute

The village of Acheleia was expected to be one of the biggest villages of Paphos according to the fertile ground of the village and the water of river Ezousas.However, despite its economic robustness and its growth in basic projects, is one of the smallest communities of the province of Paphos.

The negligible growth of the village is due to the fact that 90% of the ground belongs to the are government. The private ground at the same time cannot be developed because it is not included in the built-up or tourist area but in the agricultural area. Also enormous extents of ground belong to the monastery of Agios Neophytos which also cannot be developed and bring some growth to the village since they are found in the agricultural area.